Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Cadet School
 U47.org Forum :: The Cadet School
Subject Topic: Introductions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:06 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

Hi Trigger

Not sure which link you ask for now but google earth link is http://earth.google.com/

Then type in Nijmegen

or just use google maps after plaicing Nijmegen in search, then zoom in and you will see them on the side of the river ( both sides) you can navigate down or up river and they are there, I assume man made by distance and build. And will assume they are to do with flow of water etc.

G

Back to Top View Graham01's Profile Search for other posts by Graham01 Visit Graham01's Homepage

trigger
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:33 | IP Logged Quote trigger

You can copy and past an url from the view you have and put that in a post. When somoeone else clicks it, they getthe same view you had.

But now I see what you mean. You mean the teeth like jety's along the shoreline. They are breakwaters. They break the waves that are made by the current and ships. The longer a wave travels on the surface, the more power it accumulates. When it hits the shore, it can damage it severly. This way they make sure the wave will never travel very long before hitting the shore and so harnessng it's power and reducing damage to the shoreline

Back to Top View trigger's Profile Search for other posts by trigger Visit trigger's Homepage

trigger
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:33 | IP Logged Quote trigger

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Nijmegen+Nij megen,+Gelderland,+The+Netherlands&ie=UTF8&cd=2& geocode=0,51.841692,5.858651&ll=51.854601,5.856056&s pn=0.011027,0.043001&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr
Back to Top View trigger's Profile Search for other posts by trigger Visit trigger's Homepage

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:38 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

HI Trigger

Thank you so much for the info it is very much apreciated.

I understand now what link you meant and did not realise untill now you can post the exact image link thanks for that as well

So I assume then they are or where man made? It must of been one hell of a feite to do that.

Again many thanks

Graham

Back to Top View Graham01's Profile Search for other posts by Graham01 Visit Graham01's Homepage

trigger
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:48 | IP Logged Quote trigger

Graham01 wrote:

So I assume then they are or where man made? It must of been one hell of a feite to do that.

Yep, man-made. But hey, half of our country is there because we used some way to keep the wate out :-)

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:51 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

Hi Trigger

That is very true, it is a shame here in the UK they dont look and learn by your country maybe we would  not be in the trouble we are now when it spits with rain.

Graham

Pavel
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 19:26 | IP Logged Quote Pavel

As a Canadian, I apologize on behalf of 1 Canadian Army for sinking Walcheren Island way back when.
Back to Top View Pavel's Profile Search for other posts by Pavel

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 07 March 2008 at 18:03 | IP Logged Quote Graham01

HI All

Thanks to all who helped in my original request, and to show I was working on what I said here is the answer to my own question which I managed to find eventually .

Abortive attempt to destroy Road Bridge over River Waal at Nijmegen.

The road bridge over the river Wall had been captured by the US 82nd Airborne division in September 1944.

Assault frogmen had already made a unsuccessful but daring raid on the rail bridge. However the defenses around bridges where strengthened by rigging four net barriers across the Wall upstream from the bridge. The operation began on the night of 12/13th January 1945. when the Germans released 240 mines in four waves. These where to destroy the net barriers and where to be followed by twenty (20) Bieber. Each with there periscopes camouflaged to resemble floating nests. These Bieber where to fire torpedoes fitted with hooks to catch the nets and make gaps in them Finally four (4) Bieber towed 600Lb explosive charges, which according to orders should be released to float down (or drift down) under the bridge. Each charge was fitted with a photo electric cell. As the charge floated beneath the bridge the change of light would trigger the charge and complete the night’s work of destruction. The operation was marked as a failure.

The official report reads:

Both banks of the Wall was held in strength by the Allies and, after the explosion of the mines the river was raked by gunfire. All four of the explosive devises where destroyed before they passed the net barriers.

Two (2) Bieber confirmed sunk, Two (2) lost.

Graham

pentzprien
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 01 December 2010 at 00:23 | IP Logged Quote pentzprien

hello to all!!!  i have just registered to be a member here after doing some research on family tree.   Years ago i was told that our family was related to a German U-boat commander.   I have come to find that my paternal grandmother (who is a Prien) was a cousin to Gunther Prien.  I then have done research and found your very interesting web site.  Was wondering if anyone could give me any details of any Gunther Prien family still living?   I have a great interest in finding out as much as possible about my war hero relative!!

Sepp Dietrich
Leutnant zur See
Leutnant zur See

Posted: 08 December 2010 at 07:01 | IP Logged Quote Sepp Dietrich

Hi Pentzprien,

Great heritage having Gunther as your distant relative. Have you tried all the family tree and ancestry sites on the internet? If I find anything, I will let you know.

Cheers

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version