Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Conning Tower
 U47.org Forum :: The Conning Tower
Subject Topic: Heinrich Gunther Prien? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Edward L. Hsiao
Matrose
Matrose

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 November 2005 at 22:59 | IP Logged  

Gentlemen,

In "Die Ritterkreuztraeger,Der U-bootwaffe Vol.2" by Manfred Dorr I encounter something that I couldn't believe in. The first name of Prien. The name was Heinrich. Now most sources said that Gunther is the correct first name which I agreed for many years. I also read Gunther Prien's autobiography book and his mother always calls him Gunther. I checked with "Axis History Forum" and the gentlemen couldn't help me. I'm a member of "Sharkhunters International" with is led by Harry Cooper. I contacted him through e-mail about this first name problem and reply back to me said that Prien's friends and crewmen always knew him as Gunther! I have been losing a few nights sleep thinking about the really first name of Prien. Could you fellows help me clear this issue for me so I can sleep more easily?

trigger
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 05 December 2005 at 14:38 | IP Logged  

This is the firt time I hear ot that. I have no idea, but can only say, that he is memorised at the moeltenort memorial as KKAPT.Gunther Prien, whereas other crewmembers have one first name, and further initials mentioned. Which leeds me to believe Gunther is his one and only first name.

I am curious about other opinions...

Peter

Back to Top View trigger's Profile Search for other posts by trigger Visit trigger's Homepage

Edward L. Hsiao
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 12 December 2005 at 03:09 | IP Logged  

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your reply and your suggested good answer! I had really doubted those certain books made by modern German and non-German authors that contains misleading information such as first names of certain German servicemen of World War I and II.  Yes I'm also waiting for other answers from other members of this forum.

Sincerely,

Edward

Kaleun
Korvettenkapitän
Korvettenkapitän
’The Old Man’

Posted: 15 December 2005 at 09:58 | IP Logged  

Hello Edward,

Welcome to the forum. I have seen Prien listed as Heinrich Günther somewhere - but cannot place it. I pretty much ignored it as erroneous, much like those snippets of information that suggest he was born in Lübeck, Kiel or Leipzig.

If I find that source I'll share it on here of course

Rick
Ihr Kaleun

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 16:08 | IP Logged  

HI

Now this is interesting as in a book I read the other month while doing some research ( not U47 or german for that fact) Gunther Prten was mentioned, In the notes collumb of the book it said that Priens name was in fact  Heinrich Gunther Prien. I also discounted this as it was the first time I had seen this writen anywhere. I do not have his swervioce record but I wounder what is stated there? All the books I have read on U47 up to date as far as I can recolect have only ever called him Gunther.

I would be most interested to know if anyone can shed light on this, Ohh by the way the book I was reading was by Kemp and to do with underwater warfair, off hand cannot remeber the full title sorry but will find it again and post source.

Graham

Back to Top View Graham01's Profile Search for other posts by Graham01 Visit Graham01's Homepage

Edward L. Hsiao
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 19:34 | IP Logged  

Gentlemen,

It's pretty tricky in trying to find out what was really the first name of a German serviceman both World War I and II. A lot of personnal records of German servicemen were either lost during World War II or kept secret under lock and key in plenty of German achive centers. Right now I'm having problems of finding out if Heinrich Wilhelm Herbert Wohlfarth who was skipper of U-556 was really his full name. In most sources,the first name of Wohlfarth was Herbert.

Sincerely,

Edward

Graham01
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 12 January 2006 at 20:02 | IP Logged  

Hi Edward

Yes I know a lot of service records are missing, and what makes things even harder of course is when a record is found the name which we know them as is often different due to the fact that the serviceman has underlined the name in his name which he wants to be known as, So many times the middle name is the name he is called as that is the one underscored.

Now after typing this I checked a few web sources and came across one on a message board that stated that Prien's name was actually Prien Heinrich Gunther . so if this is true then his first name was indeed Heinrich but he had underscored Gunther as the name he wished to be known as. This still does not solve the whole riddle as why most if not near all sopurces have only Gunther.

Also a not on records, My wife who lives in Germany can confirm that digging information out is not easy.

the source for the above post is http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=543545

it is about half way down the page

Graham

Edited by Graham01 on 12 January 2006 at 20:07
Back to Top View Graham01's Profile Search for other posts by Graham01 Visit Graham01's Homepage

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version