Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Model Zone
 U47.org Forum :: The Model Zone
Subject Topic: U-52 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 April 2005 at 00:12 | IP Logged  

New pictures!!!  Here you can see the almost completed hull and extreme aft section, notice that I have opened the top off for easier access to the rudder and motor shafts.

Also had the control surfaces made, they are simply cut out from foam, easily replaced if damaged.

Top to botom: 

Fore planes,

Rear planes,

Rudders

Enjoy!! 

Edited by CaptainNemo12 on 05 April 2005 at 00:14

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 09 April 2005 at 23:12 | IP Logged  

New pics of the boat!  Here you can see some shots take outside.  Summer is getting here, I hope to have the boat ready by then.

So far so good.

Xiao

trigger
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 10 April 2005 at 15:05 | IP Logged  

I will refrain from commenting until my envy wears down a bit

A weal meant  is the only thing a am able to give you at the moment...

Peter

Back to Top View trigger's Profile Search for other posts by trigger Visit trigger's Homepage

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 10 April 2005 at 21:21 | IP Logged  

Thanks, yesterday's pictures encouraged me further, here's some new shots:

You may notice a colour difference between the pics taken today and the pics taken yesterday, my camera's back light was on so I had to edit the previous pictures for corrcet brightness.  Please excuse the state of the grass, spring just hit!

side view

Side view of the boat

Here, you are in a helicopter, looking at the boat in drydock from port!

Here, your helicopter pilot just ordered the craft to move right and rise, you are looking down at the boat from a far....now only if the grass was water..hum!

Now here's a funny thing, when I was taking the pictures a slight wind blew from the east and knocked the boat on the side, this was an odd and interesting view, I didn't hesitate to take a picture!

This is a view of the boat through the eyes of a grasshopper (or bunny..), looking straight aft at the rudders and diving-planes.  A nice shiny glow on the boat's deck!

Stay tuned for more pictures to come!

Xiao 

Edited by CaptainNemo12 on 10 April 2005 at 21:33

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 13 April 2005 at 22:42 | IP Logged  

U-boat colours....

I've done a couple researches according to this subject.  At first, I thought of painting the under-hull read and upper-hull grey but people have told me that this was a pre-war designation, since I wanted the boat to be a weather-beaten sub returning from patrol, I think I'll go with the wartime mod, light grey on top and dark grey bellow.

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 01:46 | IP Logged  

Well I took apart the printer I was talking about, I found about 3 motors but two of them appears to be usable since one of them is specificaly made for computer use.  I will give more details as where each of them will go into the sub.

The plan is to put the electronics into a special board called the "Electronic Compnonent Tray"  This is a simple plastic board that will hold all the RC components, motors, electronics ,etc.  This will be installed into a special watertight compartment that will keep the water out. 

Dougie
Matrosen-Obergefreiter
Matrosen-Obergefreiter

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 20:47 | IP Logged  

Hi Captain,

I like the model...captures the lines of the VII nicely. I see you have gone for U 52 when the boat had the 20mm on the tower. Is it going to be a static or dynamic diver?

In two of the three photos I've seen of U 52, the upper colour of the boat is not the light grey Hellgrau 50 (RAL7001) but probably the medium grey Dunkelgrau 51 (RAL7000). It could even be darker, but isn't the light grey. The dark grey on your hull looks just right. For other hints on colours see my website on U-boat colours at - http://uboatcolours.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

In these two photos U 52 has air trunking. But there would have been a period of time, prior to these photos, when U 52 had the 20mm on the tower but no air trunking, just like your model at present.

There is no insignia in one photo, while the other photo has U 52 with her first (?) insignia - that of a bird with something trapped between the bird's long bill.

The third photo I've seen is of poor quality. The colour of the tower is indistinguishable from the photo, so it might be the light grey Hellgrau 50 or the Dunkelgrau 51. The insignia at this time has a dagger plus a swastika over a circle. U 52 has a wind defector flange at the top ot the tower bulwark in this photo. In the two earlier photos the flange had yet to be fitted.

Thanks for letting us see you model,

Dougie

Back to Top View Dougie's Profile Search for other posts by Dougie Visit Dougie's Homepage

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 02:40 | IP Logged  

Thanks Doug,

Yes, your site is the one I went to to consult about the painting, so I have to thank you too for making such a good reference!  The boat will be fitted with a pump ballast system to allow static diving capabilities.  Will it be possible for you to post the pictures you have seen on the boat?  I've only seen one pic of the boat while still sitting in drydock.  U-52 is not one of those famous boats that I have seen pictures of, but rather a rare subject that will certainly make research and building interesting!

trigger
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter
Matrosen-Stabsgefreiter

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 10:31 | IP Logged  

Still green with envy!  I want the U-47 RC model, but my wife won't let me  and it's not something you smuggle into the house...

Peter

Back to Top View trigger's Profile Search for other posts by trigger Visit trigger's Homepage

Dougie
Matrosen-Obergefreiter
Matrosen-Obergefreiter

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 18:17 | IP Logged  

Hi Captain,

If you contact me at my email address at dougie@martindale47.freeserve.co.uk then I'll send the U 52 photos through to you. I haven't figured out how to post images.

Cheers,

Dougie.
Back to Top View Dougie's Profile Search for other posts by Dougie Visit Dougie's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version