Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Model Zone
 U47.org Forum :: The Model Zone
Subject Topic: U-52 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 April 2005 at 21:56 | IP Logged  

Dougie, you should have mail, also provided the instructions for posting images, I'll be waiting to see your pictures!

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 21 April 2005 at 16:41 | IP Logged  

Well, I just had the conning tower fixed up, glued on some details, etc.  I still have to purchase the brass rod that will be used for the tower railing on the wintergarden.  Also, epoxy will be need to fix the uneven surfaces and scratches on the hull.  Hopefully I can acquire these materials on the weekend, and have the boat fixed up.  I'm currently focusing on the hull, I only have 2 months before summer comes so the deadline is approaching (this must have been what it felt like for the builders of the real U-boats!)

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 23 April 2005 at 17:23 | IP Logged  

Alright the Deck Gun!!!

I've started and finished the gun and here's how is went:

the gun barrel is made from a plastic tube, coupled to the main barrel by a brass rod (gold thing in the pictures).  I epoxied the other foam pieces including the gun base, to the barrel.  The barrel is threaded through the bases by a wooden stick, so it can go up and down according to the degree of shooting.

Here you can see the basic gun barrel, I couldn't find a suitable piece for the rear barrel so I cut off the nose piece from a pen!  The black dots mark where the wooden axis will go to allow up and down movement of the gun.

Finished gun, pretty close to the drawings and schematics!

I used tape to hold the gun in place while shooting the photos, because the weight caused by the metal coupler makes the gun slope forward, this will be fixed when the gun will be glued to the deck

Another view of the gun.

And another!

Enjoy these in the meantime, more pics coming your way!

Xiao.

Edited by CaptainNemo12 on 23 April 2005 at 17:31

Bobby_woll
Leutnant zur See
Leutnant zur See

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 18:57 | IP Logged  

sweet gun:P will it be portrayed locked down for diving?
Back to Top View Bobby_woll's Profile Search for other posts by Bobby_woll

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 19:14 | IP Logged  

Thanks for the comments!  Well currently I'm not really focusing on the deck gun details, so I'm just going to leave it in the ready to fire position (surface).  When the AA gun will be complete, I will start adding all the little details like handles, wheels, etc. 

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 30 April 2005 at 23:39 | IP Logged  

Well, just came back from the hardware store hoping to have purchased the PVC pipe that will serve as the pressure hull but no luck.....  Gosh, it's been raining here all week and I'm getting a headache just watching it... anyways, when I went to the store and check out the paint section, there was no appropriate colour for the spray can paints that matches the colours described by Dougie, well I did find a really nice royal blue (navy colour) and a close light gray that comes close to the real thing, hope to have the boat painted soon.

Kaleun
Korvettenkapitän
Korvettenkapitän
’The Old Man’

Posted: 01 May 2005 at 15:53 | IP Logged  

I look forward to seeing it... Capt Nemo, even though you are building U-52 I am really impressed with your work and think I might create a 'guest dock' in the model zone when I get around to doing it (still loads of other work on the site to do first!)

The photos you have provided, along with the comments, build up very nicely into a sort of photodiary which would be useful to other modellers.

MfB
Rick

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 01 May 2005 at 18:11 | IP Logged  

No problem Rick, as long as it will help other modelers, I'll be happy to help! On a happier note, went on another visit to the hardware store today and found the pipes I was looking for.  My boat is currently sitting on top of the TV as I watch Das Boot...... again!!!

ottokretschmer
Matrose
Matrose

Posted: 02 May 2005 at 02:46 | IP Logged  

I'm currently making a 1/6 scale submarine from scratch. (i'm about 15 precent done)

Back to Top View ottokretschmer's Profile Search for other posts by ottokretschmer

CaptainNemo12
Matrosen-Gefreiter
Matrosen-Gefreiter

Posted: 03 May 2005 at 22:47 | IP Logged  

ottokretschmer wrote:

I'm currently making a 1/6 scale submarine from scratch. (i'm about 15 precent done)

Hi, are you building a model of the type VII u-boat?  If so, 1/6th scale is a BIG sub!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version